Monday, February 21, 2011

11 months........Crazy

Hello Everyone--


So I hit my 11 month mark on Thursday. That was weird!!! I can't believe I have been out that long. I know I say this every time one of my month marks hit, but where has the time gone?

So Monday was Valentines day.... It was a beautiful day. The sun was out, and it got up to 53*!!!!!!!! So nice! That night we had a dinner with a cute young couple (recent convert/recently active) who is our new meal coordinator. Well she wanted to talk about all our rules and stuff with both sets of missionaries... So we had valentines day dinner with the Elders as well. We didn't even think anything of it till we were leaving, and the elders said, "Yeah, that was kind of weird to have dinner with the sisters on Valentines day." hahaha, we started laughing so hard. I guess that is kind of weird. But as a missionary, all the holidays seem the same.

Friday we were able to tract for almost 2 hours with out our coats on. We just has sweaters. It was 55*! So good.... but then Saturday was so bitter cold and windy, it wasn't even funny! On Friday I got my package of hand warmers and toe warmers. We were all joking about how I'm really going to need those now. Especially in the nice 55* weather. Well the joke was on us. I definitely used hand warmers on Saturday.

So we are still dealing with lots of ice on the drive ways. It would melt during the day, and just be standing water, but then it would freeze, nice and smooth during the night. Oh boy, I wish we had a video camera to record us walking us and down driveways. Going up to the house is usually the easy part. It's when we are leaving. Either we can't make it back up the driveway, we just slide down, or we can't go down, with out sliding too fast. We have had to hold on to houses, trees, things we thought were trees, but they were actually broken off branches.... we have even had to grab onto tiny little snow balls on the side of the drive ways, to keep us from going down. It is SO funny!!!!

This week we had some cultural experiences. On Friday we taught the deaf recent convert in the ward. We had one of the girls come and sign for us. That was interesting. In Plymouth the deaf couple could read lips really well. He can't really read lips very well... so everything had to go through the interpreter. Then that night we had dinner with a family from El Salvador. They made us this delicious native food... it's called Paposa (or something.). It has meat, beans, and cheese in this corn tortilla/pancake type thing. Then you put this salad/coleslaw type stuff on top. SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! We ate with them again on Sunday, and had traditional chicken tamales, and this drink that starts with an A. It has milk, corn, oatmeal, pineapple, cinnamon and other stuff in it. it is boiled together then you drink it. It was actually pretty good.... the only thing weird in it was the chunks of corn and stringy stuff from the pineapple.

WE are still trying to find people to teach. This week we were blessed with finding some less actives that actually want us to come back and teach them. They want to come back to church... granted they all live in the Elders areas, but they are all single women, so the Elders told us we could teach them! :) yay!!!

Well that was our week. We did a lot of tracting, and trying to meet people.

I hope everyone is doing well! GO TO MORMON.ORG AND MAKE A PROFILE!!!!! It's super cool!

love, Sister Rankin

No comments:

Post a Comment