Monday, April 19, 2010

Well you two are very beautiful for nuns

Hello Everyone-
So I have been a missionary for 33 days now! Wow, I know that's not very long, but I can't believe it has gone by that fast.
I got the packages, but the frame you sent was shattered.... and my boots were full of glass. :S

My area covers one ward, and it is about 17 cities. We have church at 9AM. The elder that went to Cedar Ridge is Elder Richards, but he lived in Pleasant Grove.... I don't know if his family still lives there or not. Sister Nelson has been out since last May.... she goes home in October or December.
How did the Boston Marathon go for grandpa?? [jeana added--He finished slower than normal at 5:04:37. His legs locked up and he had to walk that last 2 miles]

Well this week we did A TON of tracking.... Pretty much that was all we did. So that means we had lots of funny stories happen. First we ran into this lady on the street. We introduced ourselves, and then she said, "Well you two are very beautiful for nuns." ha ha, it was so funny. We had to explain that we aren't nuns. Another person, we knocked on their door and there was a Chinese man that didn't speak English. His wife came to the door and was talking to us. When we asked if they wanted to learn more the wife said, "No, because he is Chinese.... We can't have people come in because he doesn't understand." We asked if we could give them a card to order stuff in his language, but she yelled NO, and slammed the door. ha ha.
And another funny story was we knocked at a door, and this lady opened it. We told her who we are, and she said, "No." Then as she was closing the door she said to someone in the house, "What do you say to Mormons, I feel bad closing the door in their face." We wanted to say, well if you feel bad, then why are you doing it.
Earlier last week we had a kid tell us he was Jewish, and then when he closed the door he started laughing, and we heard him say, "I was trying to laugh in their face.... I told them I was Jewish..... And they have lots of wives, why would you join that church??!!" We busted up laughing, because their walls are paper thin, and we heard everything!!! some people.... we also had a lot of door where we could hear and see them walk up to the door, see us, and then turn around and not answer the door. Lots of laughs this week, lots and lots of laughs!!!!
Tracking is kind of long and boring, but we don't really have anything else to do. We only have three investigators, and two of them can only meet once a week. So ya... But this Sunday we had two investigators on Sunday. One is a lady named Loral who said she wasn't going to be able to come. But i guess on Saturday she called her neighbor and asked her if they could take her to church. It was so awesome!!!! then we had Steve come. We met him last Sunday afternoon, and met with him once, and then he was at church. He really enjoyed church, and we are so excited!!!!! We are keeping our fingers crossed that it all goes well!
I am hoping we have time today to print some pictures, or send a CD of the pictures. But we will see!!! I haven't really taken any pictures since I have been here. There is no time to stop and take pictures. I didn't realize how busy the days are here. There is no rest ever. I am still getting used to only getting 8 max hours of sleep... I was used to 9+ hours of sleep. But it is coming.
This week was really rainy.... I NEED to get a rain coat. And I think I might want to send my pea coat home, because I don't want it to get gross.... but we will see.
Well I hope all is well with everyone! I LOVE letters, so PLEASE write!!! Love you all!
Love, Sister Rankin!!
PS. Tell Amy congrats, and that I want pictures when the baby comes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment