Monday, August 2, 2010

New experiences

Hello everyone!!
So this week I finally experienced New England. Last Monday we had dinner at a less actives house. They gave us "whoopie pies" for dessert. (It's basically 2 chocolate cupcake tops with frosting in the middle....) Then they also made us try Moxie. The original soda, made in the east. It was used as medication in the past, but then they turned it into a soda. The taste of it is like the coke flavored bottle cap candies, and then the after taste is like, i don't even know... nasty!!!! I also had a fluffernutter that day too. (a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich.) Then yesterday we ate dinner at a members house. WE had fish..... :S It wasn't the best thing I ever ate...... and Dad, you would be proud of me.... I ate zucchini and squash too..... those weren't too bad. It's weird how I actually like some veggies that I would have never touched back home. haha. We are going to try to make zuccini bread today... :S it will be exciting. no lobster yet....
This week was good. On Thursday night we put on a RS fireside about missionary life. it was really good. not very many people showed up (actually only like 4 showed up that weren't part of the program). But we had a lady talk about the pre-mission life (her son is working on his papers), then Sister Brovont talked about what we as missionaries do everyday, then a lady talked about her mission in Italy (the funny stories and miracles), then a lady told us her conversion story, and how it was the example of good members that helped her! The spirit was so strong, it was AMAZING!!!!!!
On Saturday a sister who served in Sanford for 9 months was back here because one of the ladies she baptized is going through the temple tomorrow, and getting sealed to her husband and kids. So she came out tracting with us. It was really neat to see how she did things.... it did kind of get to the point where she was acting like an actually missionary, so we had to pull her back a little, but it was a really good experience. She also shared a lot of funny stories from her mission, and this area. it was fun!
Yesterday night we found a FAMILY. We had gone to a street to tract. It was supposed to be a really long road, but it only had 5 houses. So we went to our back up street. we were trying to find a place to park, and kept driving past all these good spots. Finally sister Brovont was like, "I'm just going to park here." It was at the bottom of a big hill. She said, "What way do you want to go?" I said "This way, my foot hurts so I don't want to go up the hill." so we went to the first door. As we were walking up, I said, "We are going to sing at this door no matter what." Then a teenage boy answered the door. Both of our faces dropped. He went and got his mom. They let us in, we had a lesson with them, and we are going back on Tuesday to teach them again. It is a single mom, and her 17 yr. old daughter and her 15 yr. old son!!! We are so excited!!! And we sang to them!!! :) it was so awesome. It's amazing to see how the Lord puts us right where He wants/needs us.... and sometimes we don't even realize it was a prompting until after the fact!!!!

So we had our last game of the X-Bowl...... guess who was the Zone Champions..... THE SANFORD NYLON HATERS!!!! Wahoo!! I was so excited. Sister Brovont isn't really competative, so she didn't really care much, but I was so excited! I wanted to kick their butts so bad. haha, Our victory song went like this, (to the tune of the song, These boots are made for walking)
"These skirts were made for finding,
so wear these nylons too.
The Sisters wearing them won the X-Bowl through and through!"
hahaha.... we won all 3 games, and were the highest scoring team in the Zone. It was so good. Ya know, those Elders always think they are better than us sisters (not really, we are just the only sisters in the zone), but we showed them! :) It was a lot of fun, and made the work so much more fun!
We were able to teach both Richard and Loral this week.... and do service with both of them. That was fun! They are both progressing well. It's so fun to see.
Transfers are next week..... so we will see what happens. If I stay for one more transfer then I will get to see Richards baptism, and if I stay here for 2 more, then I would get to see Loral's too...... we will just have to wait to see how it goes. Well that's it for the week!
Love you all!!!
Love, Sister Rankin
ps mom thanks for the "bump" day package.... I can't believe I'm already a fourth of the way through my mission! :S haha....
Which shoes to ordered?Clarks- but... i'm not a huge fan of straps on feet... but they will be good for walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment